BELIZE ESTATE CO., LTD., formerly known as BELIZE ESTATE & PRODUCE CO., LTD. was incorporated in 1875 in the United Kingdom.
It was ex-patriate owned until March, 1983, when it was acquired by the Bowen Group owned by Mr. Barry M. Bowen.
Over the years, B.E.C. (as it is widely known) was involved in logging/sawmilling, in harvesting of chicle, and insurance. In the height of the logging season, it employed some 1,000 workers and operated its own sawmill and lumber yard. At one time, the company was the largest land owner in Belize. Over the years various portions of the land were distributed and a large parcel was donated to Programme for Belize, a company involved in land conservation.